My favorite thing to eat is fresh bread from the oven. My mom made bread growing up and I have learned to carry on the tradition.
Whole Wheat Bread
6 Cups Warm/ Hot Water
2/3 Cup Oil
2/3 Cup Honey
2 Tbsp Instant Yeast
Blend or mix on speed 2 for 2 minutes (mix with dough hooks in a mixer or mix by hand)
2 Tbsp Dough Enhancer
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 Cup Vital Wheat Gluten
2 Tbsp Salt
Blend: Add slowly 9 or more cups whole wheat flour until sides of the bowl are clean.
Knead or mix on speed 1-2 for 8 minutes. (If you are kneading by hand knead for about 15 minutes.)
Shape into greased loaf pans and let rise until double. This will make 6 (8x4 ½) loves.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
1. After whole wheat bread is made it can be put directly in the pan to rise. It doesn’t have to rise twice like white bread.
2. This recipe can be made without dough enhancer and vital wheat gluten. If it is not used the bread with be more crumbly.
3. Don’t measure your flour. Just add until the dough is not sticking to the sides of the bowl.
4. This recipe makes a lot of bread. I love it because I freeze the extra loaves. If you are going to go to all of the work to make bread you might as well enjoy it for awhile! As soon as the bread is completely cool I put the extra loaves in plastic bags and freeze them. When I get them out of the freezer I just let them thaw on the counter and they taste as fresh as the day they were baked. The fridge dries the bread out.
5. I use fresh ground hard white wheat. The bread is very light in color and texture.
Homemade Rolls (mom's recipe, Sheri Feller)
(This recipe is quick and easy.)
1 cup hot water
1 tablespoon butter
1 package yeast (2 ¼ teaspoons)
¼ cup sugar
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
Put 1 cup hot water in a bowl. Melt butter in the hot water. Let the water cool until warm. Add yeast, sugar, and egg to the water. Mix. Add 2 cups flour and the salt. Mix. Add 1 cup flour. (a little more if needed) Knead for 10 min. Let stand to rise for 20 minutes. Grease a 9x13 pan. Shape into round balls. (about 15) Let rise until they double in size. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.
Tips: I usually double the recipe and put them a greased cookie sheet. It makes about 30 rolls.