Thursday, May 14, 2015

Being a mom is the top job!


One thing I learned at Power of Moms is:  

A pearl of wisdom from Linda Eyre, she said something to the effect of, "Write down three things on your calendar that don't relate to mothering and figure out how to delegate or delete."

I sat down with my crazy long list of things to do and places to be before school is out on May 22nd.  I was overwhelmed and I was taking it all out on my husband and kids.  In the back of my mind was that thought from the Power of Moms retreat.  I looked again at my long list and asked myself what do I really have to have done by this week.  What do I have to have done by next week?  What can wait until summer.  How can I put more focus on being the mom and less on being the To-Do lady?  I decided to try to seize the small moments.  

After school I put the to-do list aside and we made an after school snack from the cookbook my 4th grader made me for Mothers Day.  My older boys were gone and it was a rare occasion to spend time with my four youngest kids.  

Later, I spent time talking to my oldest daughter and then I enjoyed watching my little girls do a dance they made up using my Mother's Day roses as props.  I loved it and despite the fact that not everything on my list is complete, I feel complete because I put the focus back where it should be, on being a mom.  

I guess you could say, I took time to "smell the roses." (Even the very smashed rose that my little one used as her dance prop!)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails