Saturday, July 10, 2010

Homemade Tortillas


This was my first attempt at homemade tortillas.  Everyone in my family agreed that they were so much better than store bought tortillas.  I was amazed how easy they were to make! 

Whole Wheat Tortillas
(Taken from "Wild Flour" by Denise Fidler, the Country Baker)

3-4 cups soft whole wheat pastry flour (I used freshly ground white wheat flour)
1 tsp. sea salt
1/3 cup oil
1 cup warm water

In your Bosch bowl with batter whips (or other mixer), mix dry ingredients.  Add all wet ingredients in a slow and steady stream.  Mix and knead adding more water or flour as needed to produce a smooth dough for 1-2 minutes.  Form into 12-18 balls.  Cover and rest 30 minutes.  Press in electric or manual tortilla maker and cook.  The secret to a great tortilla is a soft and moist dough.  

*I used a rolling pin to roll them out and cooked them on my electric griddle.  
*Warm tortillas with butter, cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top are delicious.
*Tortillas freeze great.  Just seal in heavy-duty freezer bag with layers on waxed paper between them.  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails