Friday, March 22, 2013

Questions People Want to Ask




Questions people want to ask, but most don’t dare:
My answers are pink.  Justin’s answers are blue.

Question:  Wow, 7 kids is a lot!  Why do you want to have that many kids?  

Answer:  I have decided the better question is:  Why not?  We have been blessed in so many ways.  I have good pregnancies.  We have healthy children.  Justin and I are both passionate about family.  Financially Heavenly Father has always helped us to provide. 

The happiest people I know are the ones who dedicate their life to serving others.  Raising children is the most rewarding service available to mankind with the blessings from that service lasting throughout eternity.

Question:  Did you always want to have a big family?  

Answer:  Before Justin and I got married we decided that we wanted to have a big family.  Our first daughter’s delivery didn’t go as planned and was an emergency c-section.  When I went for a scheduled c-section for the second delivery we had an absolute miracle and I was able to have VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean).  Since the first c-section I have had 5 successful VBAC’s, which we feel has been God’s hand caring for us and enabling us to have the children that he wants to send to our family. 

Yes.  From the time we started dating and immediately knew we were going to marry for eternity, we both knew that a big family was our goal.


Question:  My two most often asked questions:  Do you home school your kids?  Do you work?  

Answer:  You would be surprised how often I am asked this question.  I admire mothers that home school, I think it is a great option with many benefits, but for our family we have felt that sending them to school is the right answer.  Our kids have been blessed to attend some amazing schools with great teachers. 

Yes, I work.  From sun up to sun down and at times all night!  I remember commenting to Justin after a particularly rough night of running from one room to the next, “I wonder if I get more exercise during the day or at night when I am running to take care of kids?”  So, I don’t work outside the home and feel grateful for the blessing of always having enough to keep me busy with my family :)  I am so grateful for a husband who has always provided for us, even when he was in graduates school, so that I could always be focused on our family.

Question:  What kind of car do you drive?

Answer:  I drive a mini van and love it!  As a teenager I determined that I would be a cool mom with an SUV.  That didn’t happen (I’m not cool and I don’t drive an SUV :)   I love the convenience of a mini van.  The automatic sliding doors is like having an extra hand!!  It is also easy to get everyone in and out of a van.  With baby #7 we will no longer be able to drive a “mini” van, we will upgrade to  “full size”.  Unfortunately, the options of what to drive are very limited when you have a large family.  I will keep you posted on what we end up doing. 

Question:  How many kids do you plan to have?

Answer:  There is not a set number.  We really evaluate each and every time.  I have been blessed to always know if there is someone waiting to come to our family.  Yes, we plan to have more.  I am still young.

Question:  How do you manage so many kids?  

Answer:  We do it together.  This job is too big for one person.  Justin and I are both committed to each other and our family.  We are far from perfect but have had so much divine help to guide us.  I feel that I am a better mother of 6 children than I was when I only had a few.  Each time we are blessed with another baby we aren’t given more hours in the day so we have to be more efficient with our time.  

Giving children age appropriate responsibilities is one of the keys to managing so many kids. 

4 comments:

Kellan and Rikki-Leigh said...

Justin's cousin Mai (my mother-in-law) sent me the link to your blog a few weeks ago and I've just been so inspired! I've felt really overwhelmed lately and you have such good ideas of how to simplify and prioritize. Anyway, just what I've needed. We have lots of little ones too and also get a lot of these questions. I never know how to answer graciously. I'm such a private person I have a hard time not being offended sometimes but its also a good opportunity to share our love of parenthood so why not? I'm interested to see what you do about a vehicle. Kellan is terrified of ever having to be seen driving a full size van.

Kellan and Rikki-Leigh said...

Justin's cousin Mai (my mother-in-law) sent me the link to your blog a few weeks ago and I've just been so inspired! I've felt really overwhelmed lately and you have such good ideas of how to simplify and prioritize. Anyway, just what I've needed. We have lots of little ones too and also get a lot of these questions. I never know how to answer graciously. I'm such a private person I have a hard time not being offended sometimes but its also a good opportunity to share our love of parenthood so why not? I'm interested to see what you do about a vehicle. Kellan is terrified of ever having to be seen driving a full size van.

Unknown said...

LOVED this!! Ha I wondered some of those questions but would NEVER ask!! I grew up in a large family and loved it, 7 girls 3 boys :) I'm looking forward to more post. I have you and one other blog saved on my bookmarks :) :) - Candi

Anonymous said...

My favorite comment is "I'm not cool and I don't drive a SUV."

I am also not cool, nor do I drive an SUV. However, it is on my list to purchase when my children go off to college.

I'm with you though on the mini-van with opening doors and trunk. Every time I push those buttons on my key-chain, I feel a-ok about not being cool.

love S.

Related Posts with Thumbnails