Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Design Process

This is an old post I wrote last year, but decided to publish.

This is a before picture of our family room.
We use this room for four main purposes:  practice the piano, read, and we gather as a family for family home evening and scripture study,  this is also the room we are in when people come over.

When we moved into the house I put the TV in this room.  It didn't take long at all for me to realize that I made a BIG mistake.  It was loud and the TV was the focus.  We moved the TV downstairs and brought the small bookshelf with kids books upstairs.  It worked like magic.  The kids would be waiting for dinner or have a few extra minutes and they would grab a book rather than turn on the TV.  The same is true with our piano.  If they have a few extra minutes they sit down and practice because it is conveniently right there.

There were many things about this room that worked, but I was tired of all the brown.  I decided to lighten and brighten this room.  I started pinning things on Pinterest that were the general "feel" of what I wanted for our family room.  Overall, this is what I took with me shopping and the "feel" that I wanted to acheive:


I wanted the final room to be described as "Clean, Bright, and Light."  

I wanted to keep the couches, would you believe we have had those couches for over 10 year, they have lived in 6 states, and we have 7 kids, but they still look fabulous thanks to two rules:

-We take our shoes off in the house.
-We only eat food in the kitchen.

Anyway, I would like to keep the couches for a couple more years so I was looking for new pillows to brighten the space.  I also planned to paint the walls a lighter shade of what they already were and paint the fireplace white.  

My first stop was TJ Maxx (Homegoods) and Marshall's. 

Shopping at Homegoods and Marshall's is usually a jackpot.  Here are some of the amazing things that saw:










When I went to Marshall's I found exactly what  I was looking for quality down filled pillows with zip closure made from beautiful thick designer fabric. . . on clearance! I pick up a cute pouf for a foot rest and some other accessories.

After Pictures

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails