Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Me time


What is the phrase? You can't draw water from an empty well?  As mothers I think we often expect ourselves to be constantly caring and cleaning.  The truth is it is important to remember we also need to take care of ourselves so that we can enjoy the blessing it is to be a mother.  If we respect ourselves I believe it is easier for others to respect us.

In a 2010 BYU Women's Conference talk Sister Julie B. Beck said the following:

"In order to prioritize time wisely, I learned something from my father-in-law years ago. He was a steel-worker and spent his life working three different shifts. He either worked the day shift, the afternoon shift, or the night shift. As a young mother I realized one time that I was working all three shifts, and that’s why I was so tired. We can’t do all things all at once, and we have to be careful and safeguard our shifts.

I know at times I have been very guilty of trying to work all shifts, and at times we have to.  It is best if we can incorporate daily little rituals that help give us a boost and renew our spirits so that we can cheerful fulfill our roles as wife and mother.

I look back on my early days of mothering.  My husband was in graduates school and we have two cute babies both under two years old.  They were happy years.  I was home full time and had a small apartment to maintain.  I was able to spend lots of time and attention on teaching our son and daughter.  I usually had a little afternoon time during naps so that I could work on a sewing project or try out a new recipe.  As we have added children to our family and as they have gotten older and busier I don't have the luxury of spending two hours by myself each afternoon.  I have learned that it does not take a lot of time to "fill my well" so to speak.  

Personally for me I feel the most uplifted if I wake up early to say my prayers, read my scriptures, and get dressed and ready for the day.  I find that  I am so much calmer with our children and accomplish so much more during the day by following my morning routine.  It also provides me with a sence of direction for the day and I feel like I have accomplished something important to me.  

Part 2:  Which Shifts to Work-- not overworking ourselves

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

#1 - You are stunning. (love this picture)

#2 - Good reminder that a dry well can't give water.

#3 - I always feel better when I shower and put real clothes on too!


-S

Related Posts with Thumbnails